[MAGEEC] Accuracy of the power measurement shield

Jeremy Bennett jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Wed Mar 14 17:12:07 GMT 2018

On 14/03/18 17:01, Mark Kettner wrote:
> Hi Jeremy,
>
> many thanks for the fast update!
>
> But I discovered a bug (i guess) when using the pyenergy tool. I
> tried to use a 5 Ohm resistor. Thus I changed the jumper on the
> board and told the host computer tool the new resistor value (via
> energytool setup). However the value seems to be ignored and I got
> really wrong data (the script assumed R=1, i guess). After
> modifying the python file and setting the new resistor value on my
> own, I still got wrong values. I played around with Gain, and
> eventually got almost valid data again (using R=5 and Gain=26). But
> here I misuse gain to cancel out another error in the
> calculation(?)[0] I guess.
>
> I am by far not familar with this. Did anyone already ran the
> python script with different resistor settings and can reproduce
> this?

Hi Mark,

I'm pretty certain I have used this in the past with different
resistor values successfully. Since the project has completed three
years ago, I have done little work with the energy measurement board.

One thing I notice is that you are using the v2 code, while my
repository has the pyusb branch checked out. I don't know if this is
significant.

I don't read Python well enough to check for a bug, but I'm happy to
take patches as pull requests.

Best wishes,

Jeremy

> [0]https://github.com/jpallister/stm32f4-energy-monitor/blob/v2/pyenergy/src/pyenergy/pyenergy.py#L501