[MAGEEC] Structure of the Results Database

Ashley Whetter awhetter.2011 at my.bristol.ac.uk
Wed Aug 28 17:21:56 BST 2013

Hey everyone,

At the last meeting we looked at the ER diagram (
http://mageec.org/wiki/Database) for the database that would store the
results that would be recorded by the test framework and used by the plugin.

I've taken some of the comments made at the meeting and made a more
detailed ER diagram to discuss. (
http://mageec.org/w/images/1/19/Results_ERD_Proposal.png)

A test (and test id) refers to a single combination of a platform,
compiler, benchmark, and flag set.
A run (and run id) refers to a single run of a test. A test can have
multiple runs.

Currently the flag table is only really storing a flag name (eg "-fgcse",
"-fno-gcse", etc). I've kept this as a separate table, though, because
eventually we'll want to start storing values for flags that aren't just on
or off. We could add this value field now, keep the table as is for now, or
get rid of flag_id all together and just use the flag name in flags_tests
instead.

I've put summary data in the runs table. We could split this out into a
different results table, but it's a one-to-one relationship it would add an
unnecessary overhead of joining the runs and results table when we want to
search it. This isn't such a problem if we search for results by run_id
though.

The raw_results table is the bottleneck. We record 200,000+ individual
results for a single run, so this table will get really quickly.

Ashley