[MAGEEC] LLVM Talk Draft Proposal

James Pallister James.Pallister at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Aug 29 10:30:53 BST 2014

Hi Simon,

> We will present the latest performance results, which show
> that optimizing for energy is a double win, because such programs are
> almost
> always much faster, and will include examples where energy usage is
> halved and
> speed doubled compared to -O3.
Do we know if MAGEEC can find these sets of optimizations? I can see a
few complaints with saying we can double speed (assuming that this is
coming from the genetic algorithm stuff I did a while ago). It was
actually a genetic algorithm, made heavy use of optimization ordering
and it was with an 'old' version of LLVM (3.1 or 3.2). Also it was on a
Cortex-A8, rather than the embedded platforms we're targeting.

It might be better to say that we've found cases where the potential is
almost 3 times better than -O3, and we expect MAGEEC to get closer to that?

I've attached the graph.

Cheers,
James