[MAGEEC] [BEEBS] Removal of measure.exp (introducing mageec-wand.exp)

Andrew Burgess andrew.burgess at embecosm.com
Fri Aug 22 19:19:27 BST 2014

I have just pushed a series of commits that rework the dejagnu support
within BEEBS.  The most noticeable change is that measure.exp is gone,
and replaced by mageec-wand.exp.  The reason for this is simply that
"measure" is too generic a name, the new name reflects the tool being
used to perform the measurement.  Other than the name change, use of
the new script should be exactly as it was with measure.exp.

[ For now the new mageec-wand.exp script still uses the energytool.py
script that ships with BEEBS, I posted another mail to the mailing
list about this. ]

The new dejagnu support makes use of a library of functions within
beebs/lib/beebs.exp, to help run the tests.  The basic idea is that
there's a defined process for running the benchmarks within the
support library, each script, like mageec-wand.exp, just overrides
those functions within the library that it needs in order to perform
its task.

Along with mageec-wand.exp I have added perf-stat.exp, this use the
Linux perf tool which is available for x86-64 (and some other
architectures), to gather things like instruction counts.

There is also run.exp which just runs the benchmarks.

All feedback welcome, let me know if there are any problems.

Thanks,
Andrew