[MAGEEC] BEEBS analysis

Stoil Ganev sg13286.2013 at my.bristol.ac.uk
Fri Aug 8 13:44:21 BST 2014

Hi Simon,

Sorry, I should have given some description of the files in my earlier
e-mail. On the AVR binaries I perform 2 types of analysis - counting the
number and type of instructions in the binary itself and then counting the
instructions during runtime in simulavr. Thats is what I call static and
dynamic respectively. By raw I mean that I have just listed the occurences
of each instruction. In files with .analysis I have just grouped the
numbers of different instructions in categories. As for the gimple stuff I
wasn't sure how to categorise the statements so I ended up just counting
different type of nodes.

The scripts I used to generate these files are on my fork. Specifically:

AVR analysis
https://github.com/Stalekon/beebs/blob/stoil/analysis/beebsv2_analysis/avr-classify.py

Gimple Tree analysis:
https://github.com/Stalekon/beebs/blob/stoil/analysis/beebsv2_analysis/gimple-analyse.py

As for the failed benchmarks,I simulated them on atmega328 and for most of
them the simulator was giving warnings about invalid reads and writes.
However, 2 or 3 of them didn't get any warning but never reached the
stop_trigger function but still ended up in the __stop_program one which is
just an infinite loop. Also, some benchmarks also gave me a few read and
write warnings but still ended up in stop_trigger so I deemed them
successful. If that is of interest I could run the simulations again and
note down everything that looks out of the ordinary.

Regards,
Stoil Ganev