[MAGEEC] BEEBS analysis

Simon Cook simon.cook at embecosm.com
Fri Aug 8 12:03:09 BST 2014

Hi Stoil,

Could you give me a description on what the different files are? For
example, I'm looking at the 2dfir directory, it looks to me the gimpdump
files are a result of a plugin looking at the gimple structure, so counting
the different types of nodes, but its not immediately clear what the
.raw.static and .raw.dynamic files are, are these the instructions found in
a binary and then those executed, or is there a more detailed analysis
going on?

For the list of benchmarks you have listed as failed, some of these may be
due to them being too large to fit on the target hardware, are you
simulating/targetting an ATmega328 or some other AVR device?

In Lymington I've been running my own experiments with BEEBS with a newer
toolchain (it looks to me like the linker hasn't been correctly identifying
when tests don't fit in memory), and as such have a larger list of tests
which don't fit on an ATmega328. I've noticed a few of these match up with
your failed list, perhaps you are seeing issues due to out of memory issues
only picked up when running simulavr. For reference, my ignore list is now:

 adpcm blowfish compress dtoa fir int_matmult miniz nettle-cast128
nettle-des ns picojpeg rijndael stringsearch1

Thanks,
Simon